RE: noise from fuel pump running

Rick:
Did you ever smell gas from your leak, cuz' I never have....

"Rick Damiani" <rickd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 10/01/99 05:47:40 AM

Please respond to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 To:      ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 cc:      (bcc: Brian L Wolfe/ChubbMail)

 Subject: RE: noise from fuel pump running

> So: My theories center around an improper venting from the tank
> (I have a CA spec bike). My dealer has informed Triumph but since it
> doesn't seem to be a common problem and it doesn't seem to be a
> performance-affecting issue, I have little faith anything will be done
> about it.

Pop off the seat and the rear bodywork and take a look at the hoses and such
on the left side of the tank (by the metal plate). There are several hoses
there that all need to be unkinked, as well as a check valve that may be in
backwards. Unkinking the hoses and re-orenting the check valve should make
your venting problem go away (it did for me, anyway).

The continually buzzing fuel pump and low gas mileage make me wonder if you
are suffering from the same fuel leak I had. While you have the cowl off and
with the bike cold, clean off all of the crimps on the fuel hoses and use a
strong flashlight to take a close look at them after starting the bike. If
they start to get damp, that is where your mileage is going. Damn fuel leak
had my mileage down to 38MPG by the time I found it.