Re: RE: So y'all just had to talk about batteries

The bike is GONE!!!!!

If the insurance company is calling it totalled and is replacing it, they take ownership of the bike and dispose of it usually by means of auction.  Maybe a deal can be worked where it can be bought back, but they sure aren't going to just let the original owner keep the thing after replacing it.  Otherwise, I with the rest of the world would buy full coverage and wind up with two bikes for the price of one!

While a student, I had an old cage of mine "totalled" by an insurance company.  They were going to offer me about $950 U.S. for it and take it away from me, just because the cost of properly fixing it exceeded the value of the car.  The car ran fine.  I eventually got them to give me about $650 U.S. for it and let me keep the car.  A sledge hammer and some taillight tape got me back on the road.