New dreaded list member

Yesterday on my way home from work my new blue baby with a mere 1010
miles on the speedo hit the pavement.

The event took place at the intersection of Kenmare St and Cleveland
Place in New York City at 6:00pm. While heading west on Kenmare, the
cage in front of me was proceeding forward. I was about to turn right
onto Cleveland. I came around the right side of the cage when he
suddenly turned. No turn signal. I grabbed a fistful of brake but it was
too late. He caught my front tire and down I went.

The first thought that entered my head was "Thank God I'm wearing
leather."

After I came to a stop I got up, made sure no cage was breathing down my
neck and I hit the kill switch. Between all the pedestrians and cagers
not a soul came to my aid.

I looked at my baby lying their and while still shaking I picked her up.
The driver that clipped me came over and asked if I was OK. I told him I
just wanted to get the bike out of the middle of the intersection. He
kept saying that he didn't see me. I wasn't mad at him I was mad at the
situation. After we traded info I thanked him for stopping and he went
on his way.  Once I finally calmed down and double checked that the bike
was rideable I went on my way.

Had I been going any faster than 5 mph I don't know where I would have
ended up.

The damage report:

 The bike (all on the right side):
    Scraped upper, mid, and lower fairing.
    Bent fairing brackets.
    Scraped mirror.
    Scraped buddy peg.
    Bent rear brake pedal.
    Scraped bar end.
    Scraped front brake lever.

 Me:
    Sore knee.
    Damaged spirits.

 Leather:
    Scrape on right forearm.

At least I walked away to ride again another day.

Steve Lawler
New Jersey
2000 Sprint ST (Blue, of course, with a few ugly white marks)