Re: Tall Wind Screen Install Tips

At 12:58 PM 10/05/1999 -0400, Erik Miner wrote:
 >First make sure that you have seven new "well nuts" these are pressed into
 >the holes on the windscreen that the screws that hold it to the fairing
 >screw into. I found that it is about impossible to get the old ones out to
 >reuse in the new windscreen, also the wind screen only uses six well nuts
 >but get one extra you may trash one and believe  me they are a PITA to get
 >( these are not a common fastener) But all is not as easy as it seems.

OK - I started off with you, but lost you quick. I also, put new well nuts
on the new taller screen, but just to make the changing of the screens a
little quicker. I didn't have anywhere near the trouble you had. My
previous Sprint had the same setup, so I have done it a few times.

The easiest way to install them is to pinch the lip of the boot on one
side. You then insert this pinched section through the hole from the back,
and grasp it from the other side. If you have thin fingers you can probably
do it without any tools quite easily - I used a pair of needle nose pliers
to grab and pull through. Once you have it through, you will typically
notice one piece that is caught. At this point all you have to do is twist
the rubber boot about a half turn and you will be done.

Maybe Ducati uses a stiffer rubber boot ?

- - Eric