Re: Louder horn,cheap and easy upgrade

Erik Miner wrote:

> Yes the stock horn does suck. I found a pretty good replacement that's
> louder, cheap, and fits! I really wanted to fit a couple of dual Fiamm
> snail shell horns but after looking up under the nose I decided that I
> really didn't want to spend that much time fussing around so: I bought at
> the local Pep Boys a single round Fiamm horn. Looks like a bigger version
> of the stock one, gold colored. It is rated at 130db, they make a low and
> high tone version, I chose the high tone. Most definitely louder than the
> stocker. Cost $12.95. It will fit in the same location as the stocker and
> uses the same mounting point, wiring, and hardware. The stock bracket does
> take a bit of tweaking but not much. Only one installation recommendation:
> On reinstalling use  a bit of Loctite on the threads. The Fiamm has a
> slightly  shorter mounting bolt, hate to have it come loose!

Excellent suggestion.  The dual Fiamm horn set has avoided many close calls
during the last 3 years / 60 000 miles.  They are really bloody loud, and wake
any misdirected cage driver from their stupor.

BUT!!!!

Be very careful using the stock wiring with the Fiamm horn.  You could cook the
switch or the lightweight wiring since the Fiamms can suck much more current.  A
better (and even louder) solution is to use the Fiamm horn with a relay.  Use
the horn switch to toggle a relay which is available at the auto parts store,
usually billed as relay for fog lights or what not.  Run heavy wire to power the
things -- I think I used 16 guage.

Has anyone managed to fit the FIAMMs inside the fairing?  I managed to do this
on my TDM, and would like to do this when I get my ST.

- -chuck