Re: Any R1100RS owners?

- --=====================_29925994==_.ALT

My $.02 worth:  I've owned two BMW oilheads both R11RT's , the RT is pretty
much the same bike as the RS except that it has the larger fairing and
comes standard with a rear rack and hard bags. The R1100 series are great
bikes except for a couple of fundamental design flaws. First and worst is a
low speed surging problem with the fuel injection. The bike, at light
throttle settings will not hold a steady speed they kinda buck, or surge if
you will. Some R11's are worse than others. On some it's almost un
noticeable. On some it's terrible. BMW has been aware of this problem for a
long time but has chosen to do nothing about it!  The current generation of
R11's seems to have corrected this problem. The main fix was two fold.
First a newer engine management system ( Motronic 2.4 vs the 2.2 on older
R11's of which the R11RS is one of ) and a new style exhaust system
designed to smooth out the engines pulses and let the O2 senor see a
smoother exhaust flow. The other problem with older R11's is the gear box.
They shift like shit. Yes some are better than others but as a whole very
clunkly. Again the fix in the new bikes is a new six speed box designed by
Gertrag, light years better!  Other new bits on the new bikes: A hydraulic
clutch, new lighter telelever, revised paralever, and revised switch gear.
The first of the new generation boxers the R1100S seems to have cured all
the problems of the previous generation, although there are still reports
of a few that surge. The newest boxer the R1150GS has been getting great
press and maybe the best all around BMW  boxer yet. ( although a few
reports of surging have cropped up already) The main reason for the surging
issue in the BMW boxers is that BMW have chosen to make the bikes run VERY
lean. These are probably the "greenest" bikes out there ( standard
catalytic converters on all models) The only other know problems with the
boxers and most BMW's is a tendency to pull to the right. This can be
attributed to both natural torque pull,  and the extra weight of the shaft
and swing arm on the right side of the bike. Also an R11RS will cost you a
good 3K more than an ST, and will most likely be discontinued after the 99
model year. As everyone has so far commented the best thing for you to do
is ride both, they are very, very different bikes.

Erik

- --=====================_29925994==_.ALT

R11RT's , the RT is pretty much the same bike as the RS except that it
has the larger fairing and comes standard with a rear rack and hard bags.
The R1100 series are great bikes except for a couple of fundamental
design flaws. First and worst is a low speed surging problem with the
fuel injection. The bike, at light throttle settings will not hold a
steady speed they kinda buck, or surge if you will. Some R11's are worse
than others. On some it's almost un noticeable. On some it's terrible.
BMW has been aware of this problem for a long time but has chosen to do
nothing about it!&nbsp; The current generation of R11's seems to have
corrected this problem. The main fix was two fold. First a newer engine
management system ( Motronic 2.4 vs the 2.2 on older R11's of which the
R11RS is one of ) and a new style exhaust system designed to smooth out
the engines pulses and let the O2 senor see a smoother exhaust flow. The
other problem with older R11's is the gear box. They shift like shit. Yes
some are better than others but as a whole very clunkly. Again the fix in
the new bikes is a new six speed box designed by Gertrag, light years
better!&nbsp; Other new bits on the new bikes: A hydraulic clutch, new
lighter telelever, revised paralever, and revised switch gear. The first
of the new generation boxers the R1100S seems to have cured all the
problems of the previous generation, although there are still reports of
a few that surge. The newest boxer the R1150GS has been getting great
press and maybe the best all around BMW&nbsp; boxer yet. ( although a few
reports of surging have cropped up already) The main reason for the
surging issue in the BMW boxers is that BMW have chosen to make the bikes
run VERY lean. These are probably the &quot;greenest&quot; bikes out
there ( standard catalytic converters on all models) The only other know
problems with the boxers and most BMW's is a tendency to pull to the
right. This can be attributed to both natural torque pull,&nbsp; and the
extra weight of the shaft and swing arm on the right side of the bike.
Also an R11RS will cost you a good 3K more than an ST, and will most
likely be discontinued after the 99 model year. As everyone has so far
commented the best thing for you to do is ride both, they are very, very
different bikes.<br>
Erik<br>
At 05:53 PM 10/4/99 -0400, you wrote:<br>
of weeks and have it narrowed<br>
down to a 1999 R1100RS and a 1999 (or possibly a Y2K Sapphire Blue)
Triumph<br>
Sprint ST.&nbsp; Frankly, at this point, I love both bikes but can't
afford<br>
both -- kinda like the wife and girlfriend, but that is another story
;-)<br>
...<br>
On the one hand, the Triumph is cheaper, faster, etc.&nbsp; On the other,
the<br>
Beemer has ABS, Telelever, Paralever, shaft drive, etc.&nbsp; Both are
great<br>
sport/touring machines but come at it from different angles...hence
the<br>
dilemma.<br>
So I am posting this to both the BMWMC list and the Sprint ST list:&nbsp;
care to<br>
share any comments/experiences with your bikes that could help me break
the<br>
tie so I can get out and ride?&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks in advance.<br>
ChrisG<br>
&nbsp;*&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp;
*&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp;
*&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp;
*&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp; *<br>
&nbsp;The ST Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;
phNet.com/st</a>