  From: Erik Miner=20
  To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 4:48 PM
  Subject: Re: Any R1100RS owners?

  My $.02 worth:  I've owned two BMW oilheads both R11RT's , the RT is =
pretty much the same bike as the RS except that it has the larger =
fairing and comes standard with a rear rack and hard bags. The R1100 =
series are great bikes except for a couple of fundamental design flaws. =
First and worst is a low speed surging problem with the fuel injection. =
The bike, at light throttle settings will not hold a steady speed they =
kinda buck, or surge if you will. Some R11's are worse than others. On =
some it's almost un noticeable. On some it's terrible. BMW has been =
aware of this problem for a long time but has chosen to do nothing about =
it!  The current generation of R11's seems to have corrected this =
problem. The main fix was two fold. First a newer engine management =
system ( Motronic 2.4 vs the 2.2 on older R11's of which the R11RS is =
one of ) and a new style exhaust system designed to smooth out the =
engines pulses and let the O2 senor see a smoother exhaust flow. The =
other problem with older R11's is the gear box. They shift like shit. =
Yes some are better than others but as a whole very clunkly. Again the =
fix in the new bikes is a new six speed box designed by Gertrag, light =
years better!  Other new bits on the new bikes: A hydraulic clutch, new =
lighter telelever, revised paralever, and revised switch gear. The first =
of the new generation boxers the R1100S seems to have cured all the =
problems of the previous generation, although there are still reports of =
a few that surge. The newest boxer the R1150GS has been getting great =
press and maybe the best all around BMW  boxer yet. ( although a few =
reports of surging have cropped up already) The main reason for the =
surging issue in the BMW boxers is that BMW have chosen to make the =
bikes run VERY lean. These are probably the "greenest" bikes out there ( =
standard catalytic converters on all models) The only other know =
problems with the boxers and most BMW's is a tendency to pull to the =
right. This can be attributed to both natural torque pull,  and the =
extra weight of the shaft and swing arm on the right side of the bike. =
Also an R11RS will cost you a good 3K more than an ST, and will most =
likely be discontinued after the 99 model year. As everyone has so far =
commented the best thing for you to do is ride both, they are very, very =
different bikes.

  Erik