That Damned Position Light

Eureka,

No more inadvertent dead batteries due to careless locking of the bike!!

I gave up on my previous attempt at a timer module, and have now a working
model that behaves beautifully, and is simpler to boot.

I built a small circuit board with two relays and a buzzer on board. Each
relay is picked by a headlight, one high beam, one low beam. The buzzer
itself is powered by the Position Light, through the normally closed contact
of each relay, wired in series. Using those plastic gizmos for wire splicing
(slip it over the wire you intend to splice into, attach the new wire, crimp
with pliers, presto!) I attached it to the front position light, and the
three wires on the left side headlight (ground, high beam, low beam). In its
first incarnation, I had not accounted for the low beam extinguishing when
the high beam is on, hence a buzz every time I had the hi's on. I
tie-wrapped it to the frame under the cockpit fairing, out of the way, out
of the elements, but noticeable when needed. Now it works great.

So, if the position light is on, and if either the high or low beam is on,
no buzz. With no headlights, buzz. Actually, I get a buzz (no pun intended)
when I start the bike, as it appears the headlight relay is dropped during
cranking to provide more cranking power. I actually like this, because it
assures me the circuit is working on a regular basis. It wouldn't do much
good for the circuit to break in some fashion that would preclude the buzzer
from working when I really needed it.

If anyone is interested I could fashion a drawing of some sort, although the
description pretty much covers it. Please mail me offlist.

Paul Master - Red 99 Sprint ST "The Flash"
East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)
email  master@xxxxxxx <mailto:master@xxxxxxx>