Re: Coolant Leaking problem

I have a '99 and have experienced the same problem, namely when the expansion tank level is on the high side of the marks, and when I fly ofer those damn road humps.  I determined that this leak's source is the chicken-scat fill cap.  I had to take the bodywork off before positively determining the leak source.  The fill neck on the tank is rough with molding boogers, and the rubber cap is probably elongated from trying to recap the thing with the bodywork still on the bike (you know how awkward this is!!), making the seal more difficult to achieve.  I did trim and smooth the fill neck with a knife and file, but still experienced leaking due to the rubber cap still fitting loosely (can easily be rotated).  I decided to end the problem by putting a bead of silicone inside the rubber cap, and installing it somewhat permanently.  It does not leak anymore.  I have not had the need to remove it, and I do not think that I ever will.  I can top off the expansion tank by pulling one of the easily accessible return line fittings off and using either a small funnel or a large syringe.

>>> "Smithers, Mark" <MSmithers@xxxxxxxxx> 10/14 5:45 AM >>>
Just a quick question for the List.

Does anybody else have a Y2K spec bike and have had problems with coolant
leaking from the expansion bottle?

I have had the bottle/cap changed and it is still leaking from somewhere.
What I do know is that Triumph has replaced/changed the spec of the bottle
cap and I have the new version fitted.

Regards

Mark Smithers.

End of st-digest V1999 #261