Re: Cadwell and the trumpet

Ian Haigh wrote:

 > Hi Eric,
 > No didn't get any pics, though there was a photographer there.
 > Got an enormous grin though. couldn't get the lid off for a day or
 > two.
 > since the wiring fix, it's incredibly reliable.
 > I've got the Fuel gauge problem like everyone else I guess but I
 > understand a fix is on its way?????

Now this is my quandary. The best I have gotten from Shadow is 45 mpg
(US) and I really had to take it easy. On a mix of country and
Interstate roads I had to get it to 6th as soon as possible (2500 rpm or
less on country roads) and keep it below 70 mph on the interstate.
In Massachusetts that is a scary place to be, right in the midst of all
those cagers in the middle and left hand lanes. No fast starts. It
was a real chore. Typically riding "normal" I get 42-43mpg at 1800+
miles. Does this mean I a squid? ;)

As to "Petrol" my manual says 90 ron and mentions cleaning the chain
with paraffin instead of octane and kerosene. Did they enclose a Queens
English manual in my US bike? From the start I had been running "Super"
unleaded but recently I have been experimenting with different grades of
gas. I have found it does not like regular (86-87 octane). When under
acceleration it pings.  The high-test (92-94 octane) runs fine but as
earlier mentioned I don't do well on mpg. Currently running some middle
grade unleaded (89-91 octane) and so far no knocking or pinging. So,
what is the "recommended" US octane rating for ST fuel?

I posted a while ago about a knocking or thumping feeling off throttle
on the highway. Typically it would begin after 5-10 miles of riding. The
dealer took it out and felt it was a problem with chain tension, either
being too tight or too loose.. I must admit after leaving it did feel
better. Later checking it it seemed that the chain was too loose and the
thumping vibration was coming back again. I went and adjusted the chain
to what I thought was correct but it made no difference. From what is
shown the in the manual the adjustment is to have 1.4-1.6 inches in
slack. Originally I was measuring this from unloaded state to the point
you could force the chain to deflect upward toward the
trailing arm. Looking more closely at the diagram I believe the
measurement should be made from the fully downward deflected position to
the fully upward deflected position of the chain. (pushing or pulling
the lower chain as far as it can go) Correct?

Any one who has picked up a new ST I would suggest that they should go
through the suspension settings. This could vary with shops but I just
did that with my bike and found that it was setup on the soft setting.
Not that it was a problem, it road really nice and handled the twisty
bits fine. But, being 200+ it really should be set more for the "fat old
man" setting. On the firm setting I would say it is not much harsher. It
may not wallow as much in the turns and be as bouncy in transitions in
the S's. As with any good tool, straight out of the box it will require
some honing and fine tuning to be a truly great and proper piece.

The BT57's seem to be wearing well but the rear seems to like to slide
under hard breaking readily and there is no audible response. It never
lets out a squeak or squeal of protest. Now this can save some
embarrassment in public by calling attention to one's self but I find it
a bit disconcerting?

Still, the bike is great. I really love it and ride it as much as
possible. Even those 33 degree F mornings are fun. You sit back and tuck
in behind the tank. There is good wind deflection off the faring to keep
the direct blast off your hands and you can pick up some heat  coming up
off the engine and 70+ is no problem. The bike even seems to run
smoother. My co-workers think I'm a bit nuts, their loss.

A thought on those who have been having their lowers melting. If the
problem is with heat build up, what if you added a hole in the lower
behind the front wheel. I was noticing that from the chin to below the
radiator is a solid flat surface. Now if you drill a 1 inch or so hole
in the right side it would direct a stream of air directly on the pipe
and the area in question?

 > Also. like everyone else I'm just watching the trip meter. The petrol
 > consumption is incredible, I've taken the trip to 215 before a fill up
 > and it didn't take the full 22 litres. That's over 50 mpg
 >
 > What's the light problem everyone is talking about?

My thought exactly. I love the lights on the bike. The high's give great
illumination back roads and on/off ramps. FYI. I have run Hella H4
headlights on my cars for the last 15 years and you can not find a
better light IMHO. They are defiantly the best lights I have ever had
for foggy or snowy conditions. If you install the 55/100 watt bulbs you
will need to do some rewiring and add in a relay for the high beam
circuit.

Damn! did write all that? Oh well, signing off!

 > Regards
 >
 > Ian Haigh

- --
                                                     _
Neil Halbert                  _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/ '_) EMC Corporation
email: halbert@xxxxxxx       _/--/  _/ -'_/ _/     /__ 171 South Street
voice: (508) 435-1000 x1232 _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/       Hopkinton, MA 01748