Re: Cadwell and the trumpet

Neil Halbert <halbert@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 >was a real chore. Typically riding "normal" I get 42-43mpg at 1800+
 >miles. Does this mean I a squid? ;)

Could be ;-)

Are you maybe running rich ?

 >As to "Petrol" my manual says 90 ron and mentions cleaning the chain
 >with paraffin instead of octane and kerosene. Did they enclose a Queens
 >English manual in my US bike? From the start I had been running "Super"
 >snip<
 >grade unleaded (89-91 octane) and so far no knocking or pinging. So,
 >what is the "recommended" US octane rating for ST fuel?

Outside the US the svc manual recommends 95 RON. In the US, the
recommendation is for an octane rating of 89 or higher (usually your mid
grade).

 >thumping vibration was coming back again. I went and adjusted the chain
 >to what I thought was correct but it made no difference. From what is
 >shown the in the manual the adjustment is to have 1.4-1.6 inches in
 >slack. Originally I was measuring this from unloaded state to the point
 >you could force the chain to deflect upward toward the
 >trailing arm. Looking more closely at the diagram I believe the
 >measurement should be made from the fully downward deflected position to
 >the fully upward deflected position of the chain. (pushing or pulling
 >the lower chain as far as it can go) Correct?

that is the way I understood the instructions. The total vertical (from the
lowest to highest point) movement of 35-40mm.

- - Eric