Re: RE: ST RADIATOR PROBLEM

I think that it has pretty much been decided that these radiator failures are a result of mounting hardware placing undue stress on the radiator, or possibly not allowing for expansion/contraction.  It seems that it takes a bit of time for the radiator to start leaking.  A simple new radiator swap doesn't seem to fix the problem, as the new one will start leaking given time.  Does anyone out there know the details of the mounting hardware "fix".  Were the mounting problems a result of missing rubber bushings, improper torques, brackets out of spec, or just bad luck from tolerance stacking in the assembly process, or something else?  Is there a way for ST owners to check their radiator mounting hardware, instead of having to wonder whether or not their bike may be affected?  Would it be a good idea to start messing with it (oversizing holes, using thicker rubber bushings, etc)?  My ST has not shown any sign of this problem, but it would be nice to know!!!!  On a side note, I did notice the black inner fairing pieces rub on on the bottom edge of the radiator slightly.  I did trim those pieces to avoid a possible problem.

End of st-digest V1999 #267