Re[2]: Clunking noise

I'm going to try and vary the chain tension a bit and see what effect it
has. The other thing will be to give it to shop for a bit and have them do
some miles on it again.

     Have you checked your chain for a tight spot or jammed links? I had a
     similar noise/feeling develop on my bandit a few years back. I thought
     the gearbox was disintegrating but it turned out that one of the
     rollers in the chain had broken up (too many wheelies) and when the
     chain was stressed it manifested itself in a clunking noise/vibration.

     With the bike on a stand, rotating the rear wheel by hand and checking
     the chain tension at two or three inch intervals it became obvious
     where the tight spot was. Then by holding the wheel and pressing down
     hard on the tight spot I could actually feel the chain stretch back
     out with a clunk. This happening repeatedly while driving was causing
     the mysterious vibes.

     Martin