Re: Oil Leak

At 03:19 AM 10/21/99 -0600, Charles Lewis wrote:
>It looks like I have oil seeping from where the countershaft comes out
>of the motor. After seeing a couple of drops on the garage floor I
>cleaned this area up to keep a watch on it. It appears at the bottom of
>the sprocket cover, then oozes down onto the gear change rod. I thought
>that it might just be chain lube so I took the sprocket cover off and
>cleaned this area as well. I could see where a small stream has been
>running down the side of the motor. I can't see the actual point of
>origin because I havn't removed the actual sprocket yet, I may need to
>let the dealer do that. Obviously it has to be fixed, does anyone know
>how big a deal this may be?? I'm thinking it's a warranty deal. Someone
>at work suggested that I may have been running with my chain too tight
>but it has never been tighter than the specified 1.5-1.6 inches slack.

I had this same problem.  The countershaft seal was replaced under warranty as part of my 500 mile service.  I don't believe it is a very difficult job.  There was no hassle, hesitation, or doubt that it was covered under warranty.  (When I called the dealer about it, he said "Triumphs don't leak oil."  When I said mine did, he said to bring it in because this was a warranty job no matter what it was.)

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx