Re: What options and accessories to order

Previously, you (Matt Knowles) wrote:
> Heated hand grips - you don't know how wonderful they are until you have
> them, and I live in San Jose, CA, an area known for its mild climate.

Hmmm ... between you and Eric Sheley, both in moderate climates,
recommending I go with the heated grips I am rethinking my position on
this.  Should I be macho and push on through the cool mornings with
stiff hands, or should I go fo comfort?

When you consider how long I plan to keep the bike and use it as my sole
source of transportation (looks like the pickup will be gone Friday,
along with the 27' 5th wheel RV trailer) the additional cost per week,
month or even year is nothing!

> Triumph Tank Bag - I found it cumbersome to install, ugly when it was off
> the bike, and got in the way too much, making it hard to lean. I returned
> it after a short ride. I actually spent more time putting it on the bike
> and taking it off than actually using it.

Seems that there are those that love the Triumph tank bag and those that
don't.  I'll take a close look at it, comparing it to my Tour Master
which I really like.  I like the convenience of a map holder so I don't
want to do without the tank bag.

Maybe what I really want is a waterproof map holder to strap to the tank
and just use the luggage for carrying.  Does anyone make such a thing?

> Tank Protector - Get one put on before you leave the dealer. Personally, I
> went with the more traditional Triumph rubber model rather than the carbon
> fiber.

The bike won't leave the dealer without something to protect that
beautiful paintwork.  I must admit I'm torn between the high-tech look
of carbon fibre to match this high-tech bike, or the more traditional
rubber.

Decisions, decisions.  :-)

> Three pannier set - Love it. If I had to go with just one part of it, I'd
> go with the top box. Then you have passenger support, a place to stow your
> helmet, and the pipe can be left in the up position.

That is how I'm planning to use it for 2-up day trips.

> However I find in its
> weekday mode, I usually have all three pieces on and the bags are narrow
> enough to still allow lanesplitting.

Lane splitting isn't allowed in FL.

> For sport riding I usually just take
> the top box off because it aerodynamically affects the handling at speed.

Also how I planned to do it.

I suspect it will be rare that I have all 3 pieces attached at once,
except for overnight trips.

> Often the side bags stay on, and it really looks impressive when you pass
> guys on R1's, F3's, etc. Besides they are often filled with lunch and my
> camera equipment.

:-)

- --
Bill Flowers