Re: What options and accessories to order

Interesting question!  Based on the speedo CALCULATING the speed wrongly, the error would be linear because speed (velocity) = distance divided by time, hence a linear function.  This would make the percentage error the same across the line.  However, this is not what I have observed.  It seems that my observations show that just 5 to 6 mph is added to the speed.  The electronics may be calculating a true speed and giving it to the odometer to calculate correct miles (which is true), but when the info hits the speedometer, plus 5 to 6 miles per hour is added to the needle, probably by means of an angular discrepancy between the needle and the scale.  It seems that the error on my ST is the same (+ 6 mph) regardless of mph.  Maybe by busting the speedo open and tweaking the needle driver may be a solution???  Any takers?  Ha Ha!

>>> Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/29 10:28 AM >>>

When I complained about my speedo to my dealer they tested it with a GPS
and found that at an indicated 50, the bike was really travelling 45. Does
anyone know if the discrepancy is linear? For example does that mean an
indicated 100 would really be 90? (11% error)

End of st-digest V1999 #278