Re: Tank bag harness

At 11:44 PM 09/01/1999 -0500, dan & ann curcio wrote:
 >I'm considering purchasing the Triumph tank bag and was wondering where
 >and how the harness attaches to the tank/frame.  The pictures in the
 >Triumph accessory brochure are very poor.

Yup - not to mention they have the bag on backwards. Once you have the bag
and compare it to the outline of the tank, it is quite clear which way it
should be oriented. Plus when mounted with the rain cover forward the whole
bags sits nicely on the bars when you flip it up to fill the tank.

 >While I'm sure the bag is
 >easily removed I was also wondering how easily the harness and pad come
 >off.

I mounted mine with the stock clips for the back, although I did cut the
straps down as they were much longer than they needed to be. On the front,
I added some climbing hooks (maybe called D clips?) and attached each front
strap to the front fairing subframe where it connects to the neck of the
frame. With this setup, the pad can be removed or installed quickly, but
because of the mounting locations, appears to be permanently mounted.

 >  Also has anyone noticed any paint damage to the frame or tank over
 >time?

No - nor did I notice any damage from my previous tank bag which had the
same style pad on my old Sprint.

 > How much should I pay?  The dealer is quoting me $141.00 - 15%.

$141US is list - 15% discount sounds fair. I personally feel the Triumph
Tank bags are worth every penny.

 >Also how much stuff will this bag hold?

 From the Arkansas trip

Without expanding the bag:

Several maps in the map pouch.

Earplugs in the front map pocket
Flashlight and gum in the rear top pocket.

Inside:
More maps
CD Player
CD Travel case with 20 CD's
Radio
Headphones
Second set of glasses for night riding
Leatherman type tool
Cell Phone
Cell Phone Charger
Pager
Bag of Sunflower seeds
Granola bars (6)
Bottle of Flexall
Bottle of liquid soap
Bottle of Asprin
Small container of Tums
Hand towel
Campers emergency blanket (about the size of a pack of cigs)
Small can of spray cleaner and towel (for face shield)
Triumph hat
Alarm Clock
Spare batteries for CD and Radio
2 rolls of film
Bag of extra earplugs
The Foot (plate for side stand)
Watch
Fork Lock
Carry strap for tank bag
Bottle of water

In the "secret compartment" - spare keys for all locks

The extra section appears to be about the same as my old Triumph bag, in
which case I was able to add:
1 Large Conch shell
4 Tshirts from the No name pub
1 Bundle of Cigars