RE: fuel leak etc

At 08:16 PM 09/01/1999 -0700, Paul Master wrote:

 >So, anyway, we agreed that the fuel thing needed immediate attention. They
 >said call 1800RIDETRI and have the bike towed in. I called, and much to my
 >dismay, they cover up to $50 of the tow. When I asked how much it would cost
 >to tow, after about 15 minutes I got the reply, between $210 and $230. Not
 >ouch, OUCH!!  So I called AAA, and of course, they don't tow bikes. So, I

I have the AMA offered MoTow and it covers $100. Still, breaking down and
having a bike towed can get pretty expensive rather quickly.

 >(BMW650). I also notified them about the foil on the lower right belly pan
 >melting. They hadn't heard of this problem, and I told them several people
 >on the list are fighting melting plastic, so they said they would check it
 >out with Triumph.

official word from ToA last week was that it is not a registered problem
yet. I know that Charla had a problem and I thought there was someone here
in the US with the problem as well. Then of course there was Jonathan in
Germany that first problem with it. Maybe I should send a list of names -
if anyone has had the melted fairing, please email me to let me know.

Paul - do you have the thin insulation or the thicker quilted style?

 > Later that day I got the call. Needs a new elbow, will

did they say what was wrong with the old elbow?

 >they will melt the thing. I also was wondering, is it possible that the
 >melting belly pans are also those with the biggest scrapes. Could the
 >mounting system be tweaked by the pavement, causing it to end up even closer
 >to the pipe, hence more heat through direct contact, hence melting aluminum
 >(aluminium to you blokes) foil, leading to bubbling plastic? Any thoughts?

mine had the old style shield which because of its thickness alone, was in
contact with the pipe. This was what caused my problem - I had no scrapes
on my fairing.

 >Oh, and thanx to all you rallyers, for the great write-ups. I hope Eric can
 >post some of them on his site.

Already working on it. I am converting the reports to HTML as they come in
and will post them in the next few days.

 >And my fervent wishes for speedy recoveries

A second to that.....

 >to those injured. What actually happened to cause such an awful result?

I don't think we will ever know 100% on either as both were unwitnessed.

My guess on Rick's was that he was just too fast into the decreasing radius
turn and with full load he just couldn't compensate fast enough. But who
knows - he could have hit something and had the same result. Mike's
probably was something in the road - loose gravel, a rock etc as he wasn't
pushing it at the time. One minute he was up - and the next thing he knew
he was waking up on the side of the road......

- - Eric

End of st-digest V1999 #202