RE: Belly scrape

At 09:07 AM 09/02/1999 -0700, Retherford, Martin wrote:
 >Update on more than just the belly panels.  Just got all the panels and junk
 >in to replace the skin on Baby.  I had the 12000 mile service done and there
 >were only two valves out of spec.  Both were exhaust and one on #1 and one
 >on #3 cylinders

that's good to hear - I will add it to the results. Did you have anything
done at 6k?

 >My theory on deforming belly panels is that the glue adhering the foil to
 >the panel is breaking down under heat.  It lifts since there is nothing to
 >hold it in place and the heat is transferred to the panel.  This may be
 >worsened by washing the bike with the use of water.  The water travels down
 >the inside of the panel and soaks the foil and then when you take it out for
 >the afternoon spin after you have washed it may steam the glue further
 >separating it from the panel.

and quite an interesting theory that is. Where my panel deformed near the
collector I had no lifting of the shield, but I did have direct contact so
that obviously was the problem there. However, very early on I had pulled
the panels and found the entire front edge of the heat shield had pulled
away. I used a high temp 3M adhesive to re-apply the front edge. When I
pulled everything off recently to put the new shield in place I noticed
that the old shield had begun to pull away again. Once I had the shield off
completely I could see that everywhere that the shield had pulled away, the
glue had caused a heat bubble on the plastic. Not enough to deform all the
way through to the outside, but enough to be easily visible.

You may be on to something here.

 >believe for the oil cooler that are exposed by removing the panels.  I would
 >not want to run through a splintered wood palette on the freeway like I did
 >two days ago, the wood could possibly take you out.  oil everywhere
 >including your rear tire splitting lanes on a moderately moving freeway.

ouch - any significant damage?

- - Eric