Re: Safe Return

On Wednesday, September 01, 1999 7:59 PM Eric Sheley wrote:

> How was Deal's gap? Did you encounter any of the rumored sport bike
harassment?

There was not much traffic the day we were there, early in the week is the
slow time. I really enjoyed myself, the first few times through it seemed
like endless confusing corners, by the seventh time I actually recognized a
few and was able to pick out lines in spots. Very challenging I think but
you really need some time to start having fun. There were some other very
good roads in the area also, the 'something' Skyway was deserted at 6 in the
evening, I saw 3 bikes and 2 cars in about 50 miles, great pavement and
topped out at over 5,000 ft.

> wow - that's some serious mileage. How do you feel about the seat now ?

Lets just say I really admire your diligence in accumulating mileage on the
ST, (what are you hiding in those leather pants?). The seat hurts me and Dee
after about 8 to 9 hours, especially after sucessive days. I'm looking for
some help in this area.

> So what is your choice for this round of rubber ?

I stopped by the dealer and ordered a set of Dunlop 207s, will get them
mounted Saturday. Funny, my tires looked pretty good when we left Arkansas
but Deals Gap and the Virginia roads really killed them, the interesting
part is that the sides of the tires are the most worn out, no groove at all
left on the left side, this is the first time ever this has happened to me.
I think that once I left Dennis's influence for controlling my pace, things
went immediately to hell. I just really, REALLY like very tight roads; I
must also confess that I get really charged clicking 3 downshifts, jammin on
the brakes, throwing the bike over, wringing the throttle, and banging some
upshifts. This bike really lends itself to my bad riding style
unfortunately. It is just sooo easy to keep it howling between 4,500 and
6,000 rpm, shifts so nice, pipe sounds so good, even a pop off of trailing
throttle on occasion, stop, stop....I want to go back for more!!!! Only down
side was the tires.

>Of course Dee is welcome back
> anytime (and I guess you can come too...)

Dee is glad to hear that since she really likes the way I make pipe music.

> So, is your vote for the Blue Ridge area ?
>
> - Eric

That is really a tough call. I think people raised in the NE like these kind
of roads; They are old, they follow cowpaths from settlers days, not too
much grading to remove hills and dips. Some of the stuff we were on has no
lines at all, is 1.5 lanes wide, is like riding a paved motocross track!
Man, it gets me cranked just writing about it; I can focus so hard on these
roads that EVERYTHING else in the world is gone and my heart/respiration
rate goes up significantly. I'm just not sure if everyone would like that
kind of fix, ain't too many 80 mph sweepers unless you go up on the parkway,
and it might get pretty dangerous putting a big group of bikes together on
one of those kind of roads. Dennis up there not using his brakes and keeping
us all smooth.....not too sure if that would work. The tire concession would
be nice to have though!

Dee says 'bring it on!!!!' She's a little nutso on this kind of thing, gets
turned on when her helmet is smashin into the back of my head I guess.

Paul & Dee