Re: Safe Return

- -----Original Message-----
From: Paul Steinbacher <psteinbacher@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, September 02, 1999 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: Safe Return

>On Wednesday, September 01, 1999 7:59 PM Eric Sheley wrote:
>

>> How was Deal's gap? Did you encounter any of the rumored sport bike
>harassment?
>
>There was not much traffic the day we were there, early in the week is the
>slow time. I really enjoyed myself, the first few times through it seemed
>like endless confusing corners, by the seventh time I actually recognized a
>few and was able to pick out lines in spots. Very challenging I think but
>you really need some time to start having fun. There were some other very
>good roads in the area also, the 'something' Skyway was deserted at 6 in
the
>evening, I saw 3 bikes and 2 cars in about 50 miles, great pavement and
>topped out at over 5,000 ft.
>
>> wow - that's some serious mileage. How do you feel about the seat now ?
>
>Lets just say I really admire your diligence in accumulating mileage on the
>ST, (what are you hiding in those leather pants?). The seat hurts me and
Dee
>after about 8 to 9 hours, especially after sucessive days. I'm looking for
>some help in this area.
>
>> So what is your choice for this round of rubber ?
>
>I stopped by the dealer and ordered a set of Dunlop 207s, will get them
>mounted Saturday. Funny, my tires looked pretty good when we left Arkansas
>but Deals Gap and the Virginia roads really killed them, the interesting
>part is that the sides of the tires are the most worn out, no groove at all
>left on the left side, this is the first time ever this has happened to me.
>I think that once I left Dennis's influence for controlling my pace, things
>went immediately to hell. I just really, REALLY like very tight roads; I
>must also confess that I get really charged clicking 3 downshifts, jammin
on
>the brakes, throwing the bike over, wringing the throttle, and banging some
>upshifts. This bike really lends itself to my bad riding style
>unfortunately. It is just sooo easy to keep it howling between 4,500 and
>6,000 rpm, shifts so nice, pipe sounds so good, even a pop off of trailing
>throttle on occasion, stop, stop....I want to go back for more!!!! Only
down
>side was the tires.
>
>>Of course Dee is welcome back
>> anytime (and I guess you can come too...)
>
>Dee is glad to hear that since she really likes the way I make pipe music.
>
>> So, is your vote for the Blue Ridge area ?
>>
>> - Eric
>
>That is really a tough call. I think people raised in the NE like these
kind
>of roads; They are old, they follow cowpaths from settlers days, not too
>much grading to remove hills and dips. Some of the stuff we were on has no
>lines at all, is 1.5 lanes wide, is like riding a paved motocross track!
>Man, it gets me cranked just writing about it; I can focus so hard on these
>roads that EVERYTHING else in the world is gone and my heart/respiration
>rate goes up significantly. I'm just not sure if everyone would like that
>kind of fix, ain't too many 80 mph sweepers unless you go up on the
parkway,
>and it might get pretty dangerous putting a big group of bikes together on
>one of those kind of roads. Dennis up there not using his brakes and
keeping
>us all smooth.....not too sure if that would work. The tire concession
would
>be nice to have though!
>
>Dee says 'bring it on!!!!' She's a little nutso on this kind of thing, gets
>turned on when her helmet is smashin into the back of my head I guess.
>
>Paul & Dee

> The ST Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website
>   http://www.TriumphNet.com/st for ST and Mailing List info

Paul and Dee,
Glad to here you arrived safe. All this talk about the BLUE RIDGE is getting
me excited and has my vote. BTW you guys have inspired me to convince my
wife to join me on my next outing if at all possible. And Dee thanks for the
helpful hints on packing, ect..
Mark
Melbourne, Florida