Re: New tires (again)

Paul Steinbacher wrote:

> Some things I noticed on the trip:
>
> 1. This is one seriously great motorcycle.

Agreed!!

> 2. It needs a better horn.

Dual Fiamm air horns should do the trick... but where to mount them?

> 4. The mirrors change position by themselves, especially on, you guessed it,
> the roads in PA.

Maybe there's a fastener under that vinyl mirror cover that needs tightening?  I
ride over some rough roads and have no problem with mirrors changing position.

> 5. The turn signal switch could be improved to provide more tactile
> feedback.

Really?  Mine provides such a positive feel that I keep thinking I've broken the
switch!

> 6. The turn signal and high beam indicators need to be brighter, they are
> very difficult to see when the sun is coming over your shoulder.

And I'll add that the clock is nearly impossible to read in bright light.  The
clock on Ron's Sprint Exec was super easy to read by comparison.

> 7. It could use a better (alternate) seat for those of us interested in
> serious travel (the bike does this well) and not interested in a cowl.

The seat pan seems awfully flimsy to me.  If you take the seat off and hold on
end in each hand, you can easily flex the whole seat by wiggling it back and
forth.  The most comfortable seats, in my experience, have firm seat pans.

> 8. It could use some alternate handlebars from the manufacturer. BMW and
> Harley are making lots of money doing this.

Agreed, though I think it should be a no-cost option on such expensive
motorcycles.  The high bars were a $300 "upgrade" on the R1100S and this was one
reason I opted for the Triumph.  I simply couldn't justify spending another $300
on a bike that already costs over $14K.

> 9. One of my bags started leaking about half way through the trip and I have
> not been able to figure out where the leak is yet.

I'm sure they were veritably dry compared to my Chase Harper soft bags.   ;-)

> unfortunately I've been one of those people who seem to get new
> bike fever on a yearly basis.

Have you ever considered being a factory test pilot, Paul?  Beats buying F-18s
for the Navy.   ;-)

GG
Jersey boy lost in Dorothy and Toto Land