Re: Safe Return

WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION AND NON-ST INFO!

>Never really considered vintage. Tried RD's back in the 70's and found it
>got pretty expensive fast when the modifications started. I also seem to
>remember hoards of testosterone crazed folks doing pretty crazy stuff (me
>included). Your comments make me think a bit though, racing with old farts
>who have figured out they have something to lose might not be all bad. How
>did you get information? I can't remember seeing any events in this area.
>
>Paul

We certainly get competitive on the track but like you said we are more
"mature" now and the passes are done pretty safely. Most problems are caused
by new riders who don't hold their line in a corner while being passed. This
doesn't get too bad anymore as now you have to race with other novices your
first 3 races and if you crash in any of those first 3 races you have to
back to rider's school and start the process over. There are several
organizations that put on vintage events. AHRMA is the national organization
but they tend to be expensive as their events are held all over the country.
I race mostly with WERA. They have dedicated vintage racing on Saturdays and
put on nice events. There is a class for any bike. They have an RD class
structured for low cost racing. Here are some websites.

http://www.ahrma.org/roadrac.html

http://www.weravintage.com/frameset.html

My 500 Triumph cost about $6000 to build and I usually spend about $200 for
a weekend of racing which includes entry fees and hotels and gas. Races are
once a month and run from about March through October. Races are 8 lap
sprints. I've had the privilege of racing at great tracks like Daytona,
Atlanta, Savanna, and Texas World Speedway. It's improved my street riding
skills tremendously and I've met some great people. Many times I've seen
someone break in practice and 3 or 4 of his competitors jump in and donate
parts and labor to get him back on the track for the races. Sorry for the
long post and it's not ST related except for the skills part. Contact me
offline at sprint99@xxxxxxxxx if you want to talk about it more.
Dennis
Corinth, TX