Re: Just joined

On Saturday, September 04, 1999 3:13 AM Walter Oliver wrote:
Subject: Just joined

> I currently own a 1977 BMW R100S.

Are you going to get rid of the R100S? I gave mine up long ago and have
always regretted it.

> I and am considering the purchase of a more modern sport
> tourer.  My list of possibilities contains the usual suspects:
>
> BMW R1100S
> Ducati SP2/SP4
> Honda Intercepter
> Triumph Sprint ST
>
> and some slightly dark horses:
>
> Honda VTR1000F
> Suzuki Bandit 1200
> Suzuki TL1000S
> Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

I had a VTR1000F and a B12, the VTR ranks down around my Buell somewhere,
no, I guess it never broke in half while I was riding it, twice. The VTR was
very uncomfortable and the suspension front and rear was very poorly sorted,
regardless of what any magazine might say, terrible gas mileage, small gas
tank, awsome motor. The B12 was a great bike, wonderful engine, good price,
perfect seating position for rider, not quite as good for passenger; It does
not handle anywhere in the same neighborhood as an Sprint ST though, and gas
mileage does not compare, seems like the harder you run the ST the better
the mileage gets. I did 133 miles in Deals Gap, not changing out of second
gear and I put in 2.7 gallons of gas, that really is unbelivable!

>I just wish you could see
> more of the engine on modern sport-oriented bikes!

I agree totally! Maybe you might want to wait for the RS. It may not have
the pannier option though. I had hopes that I might fit a front fairing off
of one but I think that thought is fading fast.

If you haven't been over to Hermy's in Port Clinton Pa yet you might give
him a try. BMW/Triumph dealership that is interesting to say the least.

Paul & Dee