Re: Who's knocking?

Neil,

About your tapping/thumping when the engine is not on load...could it be the
chain slapping if it's too loose?  I know you don't have many miles on the
bike, but it could be worth a look.

I found my chain had the correct amount of movement according to the Triumph
manual, but when I put the bike up on the centre stand and let it idle in
first gear to oil the chain, the chain was loose enough to catch on the
swing arm occasionally, giving a thumping sound.  As soon as I open the
throttle a touch, it ran smoothly.  I haven't noticed anything when I'm on
the bike and moving, so I haven't adjusted the chain as I don't want to
overtighten it (I did that on my last bike and needed a new chain, oops!)

Neil (The other one, in Germany)