Re: Not ST related

At 11:47 PM 9/7/99 -0500, dan & ann curcio wrote:

>   If you are still reading at this point I would like to hear any
>comments about which of these two bikes is better.  The intended use
>will be strictly street riding and no track time.  I have been leaning
>toward the Honda as I believe it is a better all around bike and will
>have a better resale value down the road.  My wife fits best on the
>Yamaha because it has a very small frame and weighs less.  She is 5"6"
>and weighs about 105 lbs. so weight is a big factor for her.

I didn't see any mention of riding experience.  What was her last bike? How
long has she been riding and how comfortable is she with a slightly hyper
bike?  Both those 600cc bikes are considered race track ready and I wouldn't
suggest either for anyone that isn't comfortable with speed and low on
experience.  Keep in mind these bikes are some of the best cutting edge
sport bikes, making on average over 100hp.  If she feels comfortable with
these kinds of bikes then I'm all for it.  Personally I would suggest the
Honda, the CBR600 range has a history of being a good all round and
comfortable bike.  The Yamaha has a tendancy to be a little unforgiving on
rider error and on the body when riding any length of time.  I don't want to
sound like an alarmist, but I have seen, and read, too many accounts of
people ending up in the deep end on bikes and getting hurt or scared off.
If you haven't already, try to get her a few test rides on those bikes and
see how they feel in action.  Good luck!

End of st-digest V1999 #213