Re: st-digest V1999 #213

At 08:42 PM 9/8/99 -0700, David Sampson wrote:

>I for one, seriously considered a Sprint ST. However, based on the
>number of (outright) design, manufacturing and quality problems, I doubt
>that I will.
>
>Reading this group's messages makes me think that Sprint ST owners are
>an incredibly - actually, overly -  tolerant group (centerstand recall,
>fuel gauge problem, crankcase bolts, etc., etc.).
>
>I have the feeling that that a Sprint ST is a 'beta test' motorcycle.

Nah.  The bike is just like one of those hilarious situations that happens, and you tell people about it later, and it just doesn't come across that funny anymore.  The only thing you can say is, "I guess you just had to be there."

Lessee.  The centerstand thing was over by the time I bought my bike in March or thereabouts.  Crankcase bolts were done with no hoo-hoo; supplier problems are hard to keep from occurring once in a while.  The fuel gauge is an actual design problem that affects me, but I have never had one before, so no biggie; they'll fix it when they get it straightened out.  I had a minor oil weep from the shifter shaft, which was taken care of with no hassles under warranty when the bolts were done.  Oh, and the rear brake stop light sensor was also replaced under warranty, as it simply wouldn't light.  So, what, four minor problems, and all have been taken care of under warranty, except for the fuel gauge, which is promised.

I have had both Suzuki GS and Norton motorcycles from the mid-70s before the Sprint.  It is a lot more like the GS in reliability than the Norton, that's for sure!  It has the Norton's handling (which was always superb) and torque (plus a bit!), but the GS' redline, which really pushes the HP up there.  Throw in the looks, which I like, and the riding position, which is good for my back without being too extreme.

I am usually the first guy to bitch when things aren't right, but I make up for it by being the first guy to give attaboys when they are, or when they are made right properly.  And I like the bike.  A lot.  Even with some of the startup twinges we've had.  Biggest problem I have had is that my helmet's cheek pads are a little tight to accommodate a real full-faced grin while riding.

Anyway, I guess you just had to be there.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx