fuel consumption

Has anyone noticed after fitting the tune for Sports exhaust (steel) - loaded July 1999 - and the Sports pipe that their fuel consumption has declined quite a bit, and that their exhaust is now covered in black carbon?  I am pretty sure the EFI is running too rich, but overall it seems to run more or less ok - sometimes it idles too low (900rpm) and the oil light comes on.
I guess I should just take it to the dealer to check out?
I know they dont have a CO meter, so that was not adjusted.  If they have to guess, and this is the problem - should they adjust it to a lower % or a higher one to get a leaner mix?

thanks
Jonathan