Sports pipe & fuel consumption

Did about 300 km/200 miles with my new Triumph sports pipe this weekend,
with the last 100 km on the Autobahn at 100 mph+.

I compared it with my standard pipe (did about 6000 km before I took it off)
when I got home and the sports pipe seems no blacker than the standard pipe,
slightly less black if anything.  The standard pipe was taken off after a
fairly short blast down the Autobahn to the dealers, so it may have been
blackened from the short run.

The bike is definitely running richer with the new tune, though; The Ballast
also commented on the smell when I started the bike.  I haven't managed a
scientific comparison of the fuel consumption, but the tank did seem to be
empty sooner than I expected.  I zeroed the trip meter when I filled up on
the way back, so I'll be able to give a better answer next weekend.

Maybe the power gains people notice with the sports pipe are just from the
change of EFI tune, not from the pipe at all?

I wondered if The Ballast would mind the noise, but actually she said she
liked it - it helped keep her awake.  She finds the pillion so comfortable
that dozing off on the motorway has become a real habit (oops).  One of our
wedding presents in July was some Velcro strips (in white of course) from
the best man, to fix her onto the pillion and stop her sliding off sideways
when she nods off!

By the way, yes, my wife knows she is The Ballast and she is quite happy
with the name.  She calls the bike my mistress, as I picker it up two days
after she arrived here in Germany to live with me.  Since she's Chinese and
finds the ST so comfortable, we named it the Orient Express!

Neil
- -------
Jonathan Schulster wrote:

Has anyone noticed after fitting the tune for Sports exhaust (steel) -
loaded July 1999 - and the Sports pipe that their fuel consumption has
declined quite a bit, and that their exhaust is now covered in black carbon?
I am pretty sure the EFI is running too rich, but overall it seems to run
more or less ok -
sometimes it idles too low (900rpm) and the oil light comes on.
I guess I should just take it to the dealer to check out?
I know they dont have a CO meter, so that was not adjusted.  If they have to
guess, and this is the problem - should they adjust it to a lower % or a
higher
one to get a leaner mix?

thanks
Jonathan