Re: New ST Opinions please

Chris Gossard wrote:

> $10,100 out the door including tax, tags, freight and setup for a 1999
> Sprint ST -- no discussion about accessories at this point.  He says a 2000
> in blue will cost me about $500 more, again no discussion about accessories
> yet.

I paid $10,495 for my blue 2000, plus $190 in destination charges, $226
in dealer prep, and $430 in taxes, title and tag fees. (Can I stand up
now?)

> Q: Should I pay for "freight and setup"?
> A: No. That is a way for a dealer to scam more money. Manufacturers
> reimburse dealers for assembling the bikes out of the crate. The cost of
> getting the product to market and assembled is reflected in the MSRP, the
> dealer has nothing to do with that. Freight and Setup is one of the biggest
> lies in the motorcycle business.
>
> Anyone agree with the validity of this statement?

Don't know if it's true or not, but the dealer was clear that there was
no negotiating on the price of the bike -- too many folks who are
willing to pay all the fees and markups are in line waiting for them.
Now, if the bike you want is sitting on the showroom floor and there's a
layer of dust on it...

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting