From: David Arnett [mailto:DArnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 6:05 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sprint ST Turbo!

>>> "Justen Fauth" <justen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/17 11:18 PM >>>
I was reading an article today in Supersport magazine reporting on a guy
that is producing Turbo chargers for Sprint ST's.

The article claimed that a turbo charged ST has an increase of horsepower to
160bhp (slightly more than Suzuki's Hayabusa).  This allowes the Sprint to
go up to arround 199 mph.

199 mph??  I think that the ST would need a big time gear change to
accomplish this.  I "have heard" (I would never do this) that the ST runs
out of room on the tach in 6th its top speed of ???150 to 160??? mph.  I
have heard a bunch of numbers regarding top speed figures.  Maybe there is
such a spread due to actual vs. indicated.  Rider weight and exact body
positioning, atmospheric conditions, etc. will also throw the numbers
around.  Does anyone know what the ST will really do?  I "have a friend" who
has taken it up to 145 indicated and the engine was nearing redline in 6th.
Areodynamics does funny things at these speeds, like trying to suck the
riders head up and out from under the bubble...hold on!  I would not mess
with the gearing if I installed a turbo, since turbo's really like the
exhaust flow/heat charactoristics at higher rpm's.  I wish they weren't so
damn proud of these kits!!  Hey lets get a bunch of listers together and get
a "bulk" discounted order from this !
guy!!!!!.

End of st-digest V1999 #229