CA vs 49-state bikes

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. First, thank you for
being such a great source of information. You seem like a really good
bunch! I wouldn't still be considering the Sprint ST if it wasn't for this
list.

My question (I hope this isn't a repeat!) was somewhat addressed when
>Brian W. wrote ... My theories center around an improper venting
>from the tank (I have a CA spec bike).

So, what are the differences between the CA and 49-state bikes? I am
planning to move to CA soon but am thinking about getting a 49-state bike
before the move. I prefer not to have the CA emissions stuff; does it
really matter? From what I understand, I will have to pay a CA penalty fee,
but that's alright if I get a better performing/less troublesome bike.

Thanks for any information and beta(?) testing the first year bikes!

Andrew

PS
>Keith Formosa wrote
>heading to ... Vegas in October to cap off the riding year.
I am currently living in Vegas. I don't know the area that well, but if you
need any info, write to me off-list. Maybe I can help.

PPS - A personal (and public) thank you to Eric for providing this list and
welcoming me to this list when I joined.