Sprint as starter bike? Was RE: New subscribers

Oh no, the infamous "starter bike" thread. Seems there are two schools of
thought, both with valid points:

1. (my personal opinion) Buying a very powerful, large bike like the Sprint is a
bad idea for a first machine. Enough power to get you into trouble in a hurry
and enough weight to make slow-speed parking lot maneuvers tricky.  Also, very
expensive when you do make a mistake. Better to go with a smaller bike that will
still have you grinning (EX 500, GS 500E, RZ 350 (kidding)) but will be a bit
harder to really get in over your head in turns and the lower weight will make
mistakes at slow speed easier to recover from (and if you do drop it, so
what....).

2. IF you feel you will have a very disciplined right wrist, take the MSF course
(should do in either case, of course), are pretty well coordinated, and are
willing to take the chance of dropping an expensive bike, by all means go with
the Sprint. It's a great all-arounder, is light for it's size, really good
braking, and very forgiving suspension for when you do make the inevitable
cornering errors. Take a track course, read Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist"
and practice SMOOTH riding, not fast riding.

Have fun cuz' no matter what you ride, it's a sweet-ass sport! :)

Brian W.

"CSG" <csg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 09/22/99 02:15:41 PM

Please respond to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx