Re: RE: Heat Shield

At 01:21 PM 09/23/1999 -0500, David Arnett wrote:
 >Mine was the thin
 >type, which sounds like the ones that Triumph is using now, but it backed
 >off and burned through.

Do you know if it burned off just being close to the header or did it come
off far enough to make contact?

 >  I do ride in the rain at times and believe that
 >water caused the thing to fail.

I agree - that and sand that works its way down behind the water.

 >  Another problem is that the material does
 >not fill the curvature of the fairing very well without being bubbled out in
 >places.

I agree with you here as well. My old thick shield was toasted so my dealer
ordered me a new shield. When installed, I noticed the same "bubbling" in a
couple of spots where the curvature of the fairing is too great for the
shielding to "seat" down and fill all the pockets.

 >  My lowers are off of the bike for the remainder of the hot riding
 >season, as the frame rails are much cooler without the lowers.  I will be
 >putting them back on sometime soon.  I think I'll end up getting another
 >shield piece from Triumph, but would rather find some other material that I
 >could stick on with a quality epoxy that will not peel off.

As a temporary measure I glued the old shield down where it had lifted at
the front with a "heat resistant" adhesive. When I pulled the old shield
off, there was obvious heat damage everywhere the adhesive was (not bad,
but enough to see it). I have a list of some suppliers for heat resistant
shields at home - I'll see if I can dig it up.

- - Eric