New Biker

At 05:15 PM 09/22/1999 -0400, CSG wrote:
>Thanks for the welcome.  I am a newbie both to the list and to
>motorcycles -- I am looking to buy my first bike sometime in October.  40
>y.o. needs a new toy and wants a great all-rounder!
>
>Considering a Triumph, possibly a Sprint -- but I get conflicting advice
>from newsgroups and dealers/friends about what size bike (or year - new or
>used) is best for a beginner.  Usual argument is I am going to drop my bike
>so why do it to something nice like a new Sprint?  Any thoughts folks?

    First of all take the MSF Course (notice a pattern here in the

Secondly, if you have the chance to do any offroad riding by all means do
so.  It greatly improves your ability to "feel" what the bike is doing.  It
translates into improving  your street skills enabling you to recover from
the inevitable momentary loss of traction when you hit a patch of gravel in
a turn or a slippery puddle of something on the road.

Third, I feel getting a smaller displacement bike first will make you a
SMOOTHER rider in the end.  As your skills improve and cornering abilities
increase, you will find a smaller bike due to its lesser torque and peakier,
more narrow powerband demands a smoother touch to get it through the
twisties quickly.  A larger displacement bike can make up for not being
smooth by having more power available through a wider RPM range but that
does not always encourage good throttle and braking control.

Fourth.....Most important.....When you ride, pretend you are INVISIBLE....no
one can see you.  Anticipate what each and every cage is going to
do...imagine no one sees you and give yourself an excape route.  Then when
the inevitable car pulls out or turns in front of you suddenly you will
automatically react and can quickly take evasive action.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
Charlie