New ST - Questions

Just traded my '98 BMW Cruiser in on a '99 ST, black.  Have about 300 miles
on it and have already ordered the high performance exhaust.

A couple of questions, this being my first water cooled bike and my first
real performance bike:

1. About one week ago, with about 250 miles on the bike I went for a short
ride being very careful not to exceed 5000 rpm's (break in
recommendations).  After about 4-5 miles I noticed that the heat gauge was
in the red.  Turned around and headed home.  Gauge needle immediately
started going down.  However, it would move from mid-way in the gauge to
nearly in the red in less than 30 seconds and then move from the red to the
mid-range just as quickly.  Needle would be in proper operating range when
I was accelerating.

Went for another short ride today and again the needle would creep into the
red, especially when I was stopped or going slow, but most of the short
ride was in the proper operating zone.  It would not take but a few seconds
for the needle to move from mid-range to the red or from the red to the
mid-range.

Any idea's what the problem may be?  Bad gauge?  Defective cooling system?
Normal for an ST?

Oh, by the way, coolant in the overflow is higher than the max line.  And
the cooling fan runs for about 4 minutes after the engine is turned off.

2. One of the mechanics at my dealer suggested that the factory breakin
recommendations are a little conservative.  As a matter of fact, he
suggested that, after 250 miles, I could run the bike up to 8 grand and not
inflict any damage.

Anybody had a problem with this?

Thanks for your help.