Re: New ST - Questions

Rick Young wrote:

> 1. About one week ago, with about 250 miles on the bike I went for a short
> ride being very careful not to exceed 5000 rpm's (break in
> recommendations).  After about 4-5 miles I noticed that the heat gauge was
> in the red.  Turned around and headed home.  Gauge needle immediately
> started going down.  However, it would move from mid-way in the gauge to
> nearly in the red in less than 30 seconds and then move from the red to the
> mid-range just as quickly.  Needle would be in proper operating range when
> I was accelerating.
>
> Went for another short ride today and again the needle would creep into the
> red, especially when I was stopped or going slow, but most of the short
> ride was in the proper operating zone.  It would not take but a few seconds
> for the needle to move from mid-range to the red or from the red to the
> mid-range.
>
> Any idea's what the problem may be?  Bad gauge?  Defective cooling system?
> Normal for an ST?

Yes. No. Maybe. No.
I had the same sort of problems with my ST on pickup < 10 miles. Drop to the
peg then head for red.
It turned out to be a bad sender unit. Dealer pulled one from another ST and
all was fine. Prior to that
he had tried bleeding the air from the system with out success.

> Oh, by the way, coolant in the overflow is higher than the max line.  And
> the cooling fan runs for about 4 minutes after the engine is turned off.
>
> 2. One of the mechanics at my dealer suggested that the factory breakin
> recommendations are a little conservative.  As a matter of fact, he
> suggested that, after 250 miles, I could run the bike up to 8 grand and not
> inflict any damage.

Seems most mechanics feel it is a bit conservative and suggest pushing it
harder. This is the first
I have heard them recommending taking it to 8K. If you stick to the tank
break-in you won't be doing
any harm. It'll just break-in slower. It's your call.

Usually the mechanics will say to run it in a little longer than the 500 miles
before the first check up also.

- --
                                                    _
Neil Halbert                  _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/ '_) EMC Corporation
email: halbert@xxxxxxx       _/--/  _/ -'_/ _/     /__ 171 South Street
voice: (508) 435-1000 x1232 _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/       Hopkinton, MA 01748