Re: New ST - Questions

>1. About one week ago, with about 250 miles on the bike I went for a short
>ride being very careful not to exceed 5000 rpm's (break in
>recommendations).  After about 4-5 miles I noticed that the heat gauge was
>in the red.  Turned around and headed home.  Gauge needle immediately
>started going down.  However, it would move from mid-way in the gauge to
>nearly in the red in less than 30 seconds and then move from the red to the
>mid-range just as quickly.  Needle would be in proper operating range when
>I was accelerating.
>
>Went for another short ride today and again the needle would creep into the
>red, especially when I was stopped or going slow, but most of the short
>ride was in the proper operating zone.  It would not take but a few seconds
>for the needle to move from mid-range to the red or from the red to the
>mid-range.
>
>Any idea's what the problem may be?  Bad gauge?  Defective cooling system?
>Normal for an ST?

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the group. You certainly got the right color but you may have a
bad guage.

>Oh, by the way, coolant in the overflow is higher than the max line.  And
>the cooling fan runs for about 4 minutes after the engine is turned off.

It's normal for the fan to run after the bike is turned off on warm to hot
days. The coolant level shouldn't affect the temperature unless it is too
low. If you have a little too much you can siphon a little out with a turkey
baster.

>2. One of the mechanics at my dealer suggested that the factory breakin
>recommendations are a little conservative.  As a matter of fact, he
>suggested that, after 250 miles, I could run the bike up to 8 grand and not
>inflict any damage.
>
>Anybody had a problem with this?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Follow the break in recomendations. I do. It certainly won't hurt and it
only takes a little while to rack up enough miles to open it up.
Dennis
Black ST