Re: st-digest V1999 #238

In a message dated 9/26/99 11:56:26 AM, fastbike@xxxxxxxx writes:

<<My battery would charge fine (i.e. > 13v) and show around 14 v at 2000 -
3000 rpm. It just wouldn't put out the amps to crank the bike. I suspect an
internal fault between a couple of plates.

Have any of the batteries that people are complaining about been allowed to
run flat? Motorcycle batteries don't tolerate this the way car batteries do,
and even car batteries, unless they are of the "Deep Cycle" type don't
tolerate too many discharge cycles. I have ruined bike batteries by parking
overnight with the parking lights on just once. Any bike with an electric
clock and/or alarm will run the battery flat if parked for a week or two.
Solution: a Battery Tender. Dave Collins, San Diego