Dead batteries

My battery died too, at about 5,000 km.  I had fully charged the battery on
a fast run one Sunday and the next Sunday the bike wouldn't start - the
starter solenoid or the relay just rattled a bit, but didn't turn over the
engine.

I have the Triumph Veto alarm, but according to the manufacturers, it only
draws 3 or 4 milliamps, so a fully charged battery should be able to run it
for nearly two months.

I took out the battery, charged it and got the bike to start, then had the
battery replaced by the dealers under warranty.  I checked the charging
circuits were OK by measuring the battery terminal voltage - if it goes up
when the engine is running, the charger is OK.  Typical values seem to be
about 12.5 volts engine stopped, >13.5 volts engine running.  The new
battery has run without problems for 1,000 km so far.

Two points to note:
- - if the battery is so empty that the fuel pump can't run, then you won't be
able to bump start anyway
- - you are advised by the manual not to jump-start from another vehicle's
battery, as the current surges may damage the bike's computer controls

...so I suppose if you're having problems, you just have to carry a battery
charger everywhere???

Neil