Re: Black Widow

Here's some answers to some questions I asked the guy making the underseat
exhaust:

>How much does it weigh compared to stock?
Haven't weighed it, will try and do so next week.

>What materials are used?
Your choice of pipe: Chromed Mild, Pot Belly Black Mild or Stainless
Exhaust Cans are from Extruded Aluminum, end caps are chrome or black.
The maker recommends Mild over Stainless as the stainless becomes brittle
with the heat and pulsing cycles.

>Does it run ok with the standard Triumph aftermarket exhaust program?
Uses a customized Triumph Program, which is causing us most of the
problems with how to export it.

>Do you have HP and Torque graphs comparing stock to the new pipe?
Not yet, I am loath to put the baby on a dyno as it has not done 500 km's
yet.
Seat of the pants - it accelerates about 15-20% harder.

>Does it work with the bags?
It certainly does.

>Any extra heat under the seat or anywhere?
A little bit hotter on the right hand side is all I've noticed.

>How loud is it compared to the Triumph pipes available?
A bit louder than the OEM race pipes. Fantastic Music <grin>

>How much tailsection cutting is required?
The whole section of black plastic is removed.

>Does it effect underseat storage?
You lose pretty much all of it.

>Price?
Approx $1200 Australian in Mild

As soon as my home net connection is working again I will post pics
to the ST site.

I hope the potential problems of the right side heat and getting a tune as
flawless as Triumph's Race Can Tune are throughly resloved.   I certainly
wouldn't want to add more heat to an already toasty bike in the summer and
refuse to give up the seamless powerband Triumph has created.

Anyone know how much $1200 Austrailian is in US Dollars?

Rick Paukert
Houston, TX
'99 Red Sprint ST (R.I.P)
'00 Blue Sprint ST (as soon as I can walk)