Re: Joining the dreaded list ...

So far the verdict is this:

Police on the spot said that it was a combination of blames -
the cab driver was a professional driver and should have known
better.
Also the junction is barely visible until you're on top of it
because of trees and buildings (but does that help my case?)
The insurance company say I'm not entitled to a loaner
(replacement vehicle) in this particular case because I was
almost certainly at least partly to blame. Well, slapped wrists
all round.
But incidentally, I'm not racist. I should perhaps have written
that the other party involved was a black-cab driver, not a
black cab-driver (as Chomsky would have done to eliminate the
ambiguity!). He was actually white, as if it makes any
difference.

I'm not sure what the outcome will be - it's far from clear-cut,
and the insurance companies and sollicitors will have to thrash
it out between them. But I imagine (can anyone confirm this?)
that even 1% culpability on my part would mean that I lose my
no-claims bonus, unless they offer me the chance to pay myself
and not let it detract from my clean record.

I agree, on reflection of course, that this was not a wise move
on my part to overtake just there, but since I was going down
the middle of the road on a wide two-lane road, why would he not
be able to avoid me? I reckon it's a 40 mph road, so even if I
was overtaking in the wet at 35, it's hardly reckless driving,
surely? The whole point about braking and stopping in wet
conditions (and perhaps this does validate your point about
driving too fast, given the slipperiness of the roads that
night) is that it was not possible to stop in time.

Anyway, the good news is that I have extra coverage with a Gold
Rider scheme, under which I am apparently entitled to
compensation for any boots, clothing or helmets damaged and also
pain and injury caused (even though nothing was broken, as
confirmed by X-rays taken yesterday). As far as I can tell, they
also pay the excess (deductible for our transatlantic bros),
which is £500. So maybe some of you others want to look into
taking out that kind of coverage too. It will also cover the
panniers and any contents.

What can I say, but Ride Safe, Folks!

Tim