Re: overheating?

At 01:13 PM 09/30/1999 +0000, Paul Pemberton wrote:
 >Having recently subscribed to the list and already seen a couple of messages
 >regarding coolant problems/overheating, I'm beginning to worry - I hope
 >unnecessarily.

Well, those that have the problems need to worry, but the bike in general
doesn't have the problem, so it is not something that everyone needs to be
worried about.

 >It only takes a relatively few minutes of city driving for the fan to start
 >cutting in occasionally, and when I stop the bike the fan fairly often blows
 >on for a good couple of minutes. I would also say that the exhaust gas seems
 >to be fairly "smoky" at start up... maybe humidity in the exhaust system??
 >Now this is my first liquid-cooled bike, so it all may be normal, but...
 >just wondering if it's par for the course for the ST to run "hot?" (Temp.
 >gauge doesn't indicate anything untoward, excessive - I'm driving in temps
 >of about 15C/60F, and often rainy too :-( in Holland!

My bike normally runs with the meter somewhere around 4-5mm off the bottom
line. If it is really warm or I am sitting in traffic, it may climb up to
about the halfway mark.

A couple of questions :

First, have you noticed any loss of coolant level in the overflow tank ?

Next, when you say city driving, is it a lot of stop and go driving (or
long waits with no movement), or can you maintain fairly consistent (albeit
slow) movement?

AT 60F the "smoky" start up could be due to humidity in the air along with
the blast of heat from the exhaust. But it could also be due to coolant in
the cylinder....

The first thing you need to check for is loss of coolant. If you don't have
any loss, you probably don't have a serious problem and can have the dealer
check it over at the first service.

- - Eric