Dawgbert down

Even though I'm writing this on April 1, it's no April Fool's joke. :-(
While at Freddy Spencer's Riding School last week I managed to rather
spectacularly crash one of the dirt bikes at the end of the second day.
We were practicing slides and skids by running XR100 dirt bikes
clockwise around a oval dirt track. At the end of one of the straights I
got on the rear brake and the back end started sliding to my left; I
must not have been well balanced on the bike. So, to catch the slide I
reduced the rear brake, but at that point the rear suddenly hooked-up
and I started getting high-sided.

According to other class members, even as my butt was launching off the
seat I maintained a grip on the handlebars -- until the front went into
a tankslapper. My grip on the bars broken, I pitched forward off the
bike and onto my head and right shoulder, breaking my right collarbone.
My Arai Quantum/f did its job and gave its life to protect my noggin,
but my (rented) Vanson leathers came out OK. Unfortunately, the Vansons
didn't have hip pads so I have a good bruise on top of my right hip
bone.

Anyway, I'm out of commission for the next 6-8 weeks while my collarbone
heals. Fortunately (?) I've been through this before, as I broke my left
collarbone skiing about nine years ago, so it's really more of an
inconvenience than anything. (Freddy actually offered to call up Dr.
Ting and have him put a plate in, thus giving me a chance to get riding
again right away, but I figured my insurance wouldn't cover whatever the
world's greatest orthopedic surgeon charges!) I'll be relying on all you
healthy dawgs to help me make it through my ST withdraw by frequently
posting ride reports, maintenance tips, and anything else ST-related.

Well, I guess it's off to winterize my ST.... Ride safely, everyone!
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting
KPMG Consulting, LLC