Re: Pain and Suffering continued

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 11:30 AM 4/1/00 -0800, Matt Knowles wrote:
> >I usually try to stay over on the left side until such point as I actually
> >start lane splitting, and I wait until both lanes are dense enough that
> >only a really stupid driver would try to make a lane change. I feel much
>
> The problem I have found with staying on the left in heavy traffic is the
> impatient drivers (in right hand, slower lanes) that are in a big hurry to
> get out from behind a slowpoke in front of them. As they watch the fast
> lane for an opening to pull out, they see what they assume is a break in
> traffic, while actually it is me in the left part of the lane. As the car
> in front of me passes their front bumper, they begin to pull in...... I
> have had this happen with (alarming) regularity on I4 heading to work.
> There is a car in front of you, one behind you, no road to the left and a
> car pulling in from the right - not a good spot to be in ......

This is scary. Friday this happened on the way in to work (I495). But this case it
was a driver who had  been right in front of me and had been impatient for the
slower traffic in the high speed lane. Changed to the middle lane but did not get
around any traffic ahead. I had closed on the car he had meant to go a round, at a
reasonable distance. After that car had passed he started over on me. I was about
even with the rear door. Horn breaks, nothing phased him. Kept on coming but I
slowed enough so he cleared.

They are out there and they are out to get you.

> By staying to the right, they can see that there is actually a vehicle
> there and I see fewer problems.....
>
> - Eric

The only way you can get into an accident with a car is being in close proximity
to one. Therefore it is my goal to stay as far away from them as possible and to
limit the time in there proximity to as short as possible.

Sorry to hear about the bike David, but exceptionally glad to hear that your
personal injuries were so minimal. As Blake can testify, having a smaller slower
bike doesn't necessarily make it safer. Get well Blake.

Neil ('99 "Shadow")