Weekend stuff

Things I learned this weekend:

1) I overbook. Picking up Vixen (my 00 ST) from the shop, loading up, riding
from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara for a lunch meeting, then from Santa
Barbara to Santa Clara for a meeting then Los Gatos for a dinner, then
visiting friends in San Francisco (after stopping at Alice's--actually the
grill across the street--) then heading up to Glen Ellen for dinner, Kenwood
for sleep, then heading back to San Francisco for another meeting, then
riding home ... may have been excessive. I didn't make all my meetings...

2) I have good friends. Tony A rode up to Santa Barbara with us, and would
probably have ridden all the way to San Francisco and back the same day if
my meeting hadn't lasted so long. Jean was a great hostess in Santa Barbara,
and has one of the nicest houses I know of. Mary and Quinn are great hosts
and hostesses; Marc Siry and Terry were great dinner companions; Marc S was
a great person to ride down with, etc. etc.

3) Gracie is the bomb as a pillion, except for the part where she's always
gesturing for me to go faster, dammit, faster.

4) The ST rocks in its intended role...riding far and fast over twisty
roads, fully loaded and two-up. We never exceeded 125, honest...and other
than a small flutter at 105 (and a big flutter when we got hit by a
dust-devil on the 101...my neck is still sore), Vixen was rock-steady and
ready to make Gracie happy. The bike is stupidly overgeared. I kept
remembering that I was in 4th at 90+; and feeling like 6th was just too damn
low.

5) 198 is a contender for the funnest road in California, except that
because it goes up and down as well as side-to-side, a pure sight line rider
such as myself keeps going into corners waaaay too slowly at times. This
_could_ be a good thing...

6) 33 is the bug capital of California. After the second run up to 125, my
visor was so bug-spattered that I gave up on going stupidly fast, waited and
followed Marc S, who was going smartly fast, until I realized that I
couldn't see well enough to even do that and that I would have felt like an
idiot if I'd crashed because I couldn't see.

7) Gatorade is not what you should wash bikes with. The bite valve came out
of the Camelbak at 80+, spraying me, Gracie, and the bike with Gatorade.
This sounds funnier than it will be when I have to figure out how to clean
the cooked-on Gatorade off the exhaust pipe.

8) Buy things at charity auctions. I bought a dinner at "The Girl and the
Fig", and look what a cool weekend I had...and the food there is awesome,
too...and the wine, so much too much wine...I think I'll go drink some water
and lay down for a while...

Marc D who is feeling like quite a lucky fella today...