New post and potential buyer

Hello all,
I'm sure you get this all the time so I apologize in
advance.  Please ignore and delete if this type of
post occurs frequently.

I am very close to buying a 2000 ST, but would like
some more convincing.  I am looking at the ST vs. a
BMW R1100RT, K1200RS, and the Duc ST2/4.

Talking to my local dealer (MCC in Villa Park IL) the
ST looks very close to what I am looking for.  I have
yet to test ride one, but the shop only has a RS as a
demo.  What are the main differences between the two?
Should I expect a similar ride between the two?

Being 6'0" tall I am somewhat concerned about the the
riding position.  Anyone about my size have any input
on this.  My goal is to be able to spend a good time
on the bike without the pains I have seen with my late
1960's Suzuki's (tolerable for their age and being a
two-stroke) or my now sold (thankfully!) HD Sportster.

A little background on myself.  It has been about
three years since I bought my first bike, and now find
a small collection in my garage.  All five being
Suzuki 2-stroke street bikes (three T500's and two
T20's if that means anything to people on the list)  I
bought a HD Sportster because I liked my friend's
bike, but since moving out of the city of Chicago I
realize how limited it really was (any speed over 40
mph).  Something about not being able to feel your
hands after a 50 mile ride, my Suzuki's are even
better than that for road trips.  I sold the HD
recently and now need a replacement.  My brother has a
'98 Thunderbird Sport that got me looking at Triumphs,
as well as all the excellent press regarding the ST.

Depending on my ride this Saturday, if it is not
raining, I may be serious in buying the ST.  Since
there are not any BWM dealers in the area that seem to
want to let someone test drive a bike I may have to
take the advice from the list.  Of course I have
trouble trusting a place that wants to sell a bike
based on the looks and reputation of the manufacturer.

Thank you for your time, and I hope I did not annoy
anyone by the newbie ramblings.

Todd

=====
tbrock500@xxxxxxxxx