Re: Strange Occurrence

Couple of ideas:

>My conclusion thus far is that something (maybe the computer itself) needed
>a reset that only the power off/on sequence provided.  Next time this
>trouble happens, see if you can cure it by doing this and report back to
the
>group.
Remember we had a letter to the list from Ross Clifford of Triumph, in which
he told us to use the key not the kill switch to stop the bike?  Using the
key tells the computer to make some power-down checks and remember the state
of the bike when it stopped, using the kill switch (or putting the sidestand
down) just kills the computer immediately without storing any data.  Make
sure you're using the ignition key to stop the bike and it's supposed to
start more smoothly.

> Someone mentioned before it has to do with the throttle position when it
is
> started. If it's not closed all the way, the problem can occur.
I fitted heated grips myself and found the throttle doesn't return to the
idle position quite as easily as before - if I just take my hand off, the
throttle closes slowly not instantly.  The throttle cable must be slightly
sticky somewhere, I've taken the grip assembly apart but couldn't find
where.  But you'd hear that before you stopped the bike, because the revs
would still be too high.

>and occasionally what sounds like a plastic
>bag flapping loudly behind.
It's not too much slack in the chain, by any chance?  I found when I run the
bike up on the centre stand to oil the chain, the top of the chain would
occasionally drop enough to snatch at the plastic rail along the top of the
swing arm.  Putting on even a hint of throttle would get enough chain
tension to stop it, so perhaps the problem is a slightly loose chain and
coming off the throttle combining to make the chain slap the swing arm top.

Neil