cornering and rear suspension

>  From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 04/10/2000 16:57:
>  Actually, opening the throttle while turning will shift the weight
>  rearward, causing the rear suspension to compress...

	Yeah, I know that opening the throttle shifts weight rearward, which
would make you think that the suspension would compress. I also know that the
force of the tire pushing against the pavement under acceleration wants to push
the rear wheel/tire forward in relation to the rest of the bike, which lifts
the rear suspension because the swingarm pivot is above the contact patch. I've
seen a neat trick where you fix the position of your front wheel with the
brakes (or however), then applying some power to the rear wheel by slipping the
clutch and you can watch or feel the bike come up, depending on where you are.
What exactly happens to the rear suspension in the complex combination of
forces we create in a turn is beyond my present level of understanding, but I
suspect I may be bottoming it out and some practical experimentation will most
likely tell the tale. My front suspension has used all but about and inch and a
half of it's travel since I last dusted the forks up under the fairing.
Suspension settings are factory stock, and I'm about 250+ pounds (113 Kg) in
riding gear.

Thanks for the info,

	"Jedi Dawg" Jim Huber
	Spring, Texas, USA