Re: free play in rear wheel

> >  If anyone gets the chance could they give their rear wheel a sideways
wiggle
> >  grasping top and bottom, turning it to different points and repeating.
I can
> >  detect a definate movement at certain points.
>
> Hmmm, I'll check mine. I've recently noticed an "interesting sensation"
> in fairly hard cornering that feels almost like a slight rear tire slide.
> really can't believe it's actually sliding because I just really don't
turn it
> that hard and I also haven't heard any suspicious noise like I'd expect
from a
> spinning/sliding rear tire. The footpags aren't even scraping when it
happens.

This very same sensation has happened to me enough times now for me to
conclude "something's goin' on". It manifests as what could be described as
vagueness when fully cranked over with occasionally the feeling of a small
slide. It never made sense as I am Mr Paranoia when it comes to cornering,
road surface, etc., although I do like to go in hard when the conditions
warrant;-). After reading other posts on the subject I put it down to a
characteristic of the Bridgerocks. Now I'm not so sure. Rear wheel freeplay?
Hmm...
BTW, I'm now running a BT-54 (harder) on the rear and this same sensation
occurs. In fact, it happened again only yesterday. As I said, I'm kinda used
to it now and it never feels like disaster is imminent. And I ran the same
tyres on my two previous Hinckley machines without any sign of this. But I'd
be interested to hear more opinions, including my mechanic's at the next
service.

Paul Bulfin.
Brisbane, Australia.
Black '99 ST.